Opsgenie has a bidirectional integration with Slack. It's easy to configure and powerful: notifications of Opsgenie's robust alerts go right into your Slack channel. In turn, users can acknowledge, close, or assign these alerts from the channel, as easily as entering a command like /genie ack 12.
Add a Slack integration in Opsgenie, and in seconds have combined Slack's easy-to-use team collaboration platform with Opsgenie's rich alert notification system and on-call rotation. Execute actions on the alert just by typing a /genie command, into the chat.
There's more to be accomplished in Opsgenie just by entering simple commands to Slack channel. Using /genie command, mute Opsgenie notifications, get alert details, view on-call schedules, and more.
Now with the new Slack buttons, Opsgenie users can acknowledge, un-acknowledge, or close alerts with just a button click.
"Require Matching a User" option is used to force matching Slack accounts with Opsgenie accounts. Chat user mapping section addresses this issue.
- Go to Slack App's integration page -> Slack Integration.
An alternative for this step is to add the integration from the Team Dashboard of the team which will own the integration. To add an integration directly to a team, navigate to the Team Dashboard and open Integrations tab. Click Add Integration and select the integration that you would like to add.
For Free and Essentials plans, you can only add the integrations from the Team Dashboards, please use the alternative instructions given above to add this integration.
- Click Add to Slack.
- Select "Slack Team" and "Channel".
- Click Authorize to give access to Opsgenie's Slack App.
- The integration is automatically created. (If not logged into Opsgenie, log in.)
- Note that permission is required to add integration in Opsgenie.
- Modify the alert message that is sent to the Slack channel. In the Slack Integration's page, users have a choice to send description, tags, and routed teams information to a Slack message.
- Using Slack buttons is optional. Disable it on integration's edit page by using the "Use Slack Buttons" option.
- Message with Slack buttons look like:
Slack messages will have a stripe on the left side of the message, in either the color green, red, or blue. Green means closed, red means open, and blue means acknowledged. The colors update as actions are taken, and any related alerts will also update in color.
- Acknowledge, Un-acknowledge or Close alerts.
- Close mass notifications.
- If an alert is already acknowledged, un-acknowledged, or closed, the relevant response is sent in Slack and buttons are changed accordingly.
- Message menus are built on Slack's interactive message framework just like Slack buttons. A user's "Using Slack Buttons" preference also applies to message menu.
- Execute assign, take ownership, snooze, and add note actions on alerts. According to the selection, the message is updated to proceed further. For example, after the "Add Note" option is selected, a dialog box appears to enter a note as shown below.
- Message menu is updated according to actions taken. The result of the action is posted to the channel.
- "Execute Commands" option is used to determine the integration which executes the genie command.
- The reason to do so is that Slack registers slash commands for the whole team, but more than one Opsgenie integration can be installed in Slack.
- Only one Slack integration can have "Execute Commands" checked for a Slack team.
- "Require Matching a User" option is determined by the same integration that has "Execute Commands" option selected as slash command will be associated with this integration.
- "Require Matching a User" is used to force matching Slack accounts with Opsgenie accounts.
- Associate Slack accounts to Opsgenie accounts by using the /genie connect command. If using the Opsgenie EU instance, please use /eugenie connect command instead.
- Chat user mapping flow:
If using the Opsgenie EU instance, please use /eugenie command instead of /genie command.
For example, for acknowledging an alert, run the following command:
/eugenie ack [tinyID tinyID2..]
Easily execute actions on Opsgenie alerts by entering a command with the tinyId of the alert into a Slack room. It is possible to execute a single command on multiple alerts.
Create alerts, too. Use the alert command to create an alert in Opsgenie, right from the Slack channel.
Acknowledge Alert :
/genie ack [tinyID tinyID2..]
/genie ack 1
/genie ack 1 2 3
Close Alert :
/genie close [tinyID tinyID2..]
/genie close 1
/genie close 1 2 3
Add Note to Alert :
/genie note [note] to [tinyID tinyID2..]
/genie note this is note to 1
/genie note this is note to 1 2 3
Add Tag to Alert :
/genie addtag [tag1,tag2,..] to [tinyID tinyID2..]
/genie addtag high priority,important to 1
genie addtag high priority,important to 1 2 3
Acknowledge All Open Alerts :
Close All Open Alerts :
Assign Alert :
/genie assign [tinyID tinyID2..] to [user]
/genie assign 1 to firstname.lastname@example.org
/genie assign 1 2 3 to email@example.com
Take Ownership of Alert :
/genie own [tinyID tinyID2..]
/genie own 1
/genie own 1 2 3
Update Priority of Alert:
/genie update priority to [P1, P2, P3, P4 or P5] for [tinyID]
/genie update priority to P2 for 1341
Execute Action :
/genie exec [action] on [tinyID tinyID2..]
/genie exec customAction on 1
/genie exec customAction on 1 2 3
Create Alert :
/genie alert [alert message] for [team1,team2,user1..]
/genie alert this is alert message for firstname.lastname@example.org
/genie alert this is alert message for integration team, product team
/genie alert this is alert message for myTeam, email@example.com
Get Alert :
/genie get [tinyID]
/genie get 1
List Alerts :
Lists all open alerts.
Lists all open alerts of a specified team.
/genie list alerts of team1
List Integrations :
/genie list integrations
List Policies :
/genie list policies
List Teams :
/genie list teams
/genie list teams contains [search query]
/genie list teams starts with [search query]
Enable Integration/Policy :
/genie enable [name]
/genie enable policy
Disable Integration/Policy :
/genie disable [name]
/genie disable policy
Take On-call :
Takes on-call for the specified amount of time for the team or schedule. The default amount of time is 1h. If no schedule/team is specified, the user will take on-call for his team's schedule, or a single schedule he's participant in.
/genie oncall [me/user] [h/m/d] for [team/schedule/all]
Sample uses are:
/genie oncall me 2h for weekend_schedule
/genie oncall firstname.lastname@example.org 1d for ops_team
/genie oncall me 2h for all
/genie oncall me 45m
/genie oncall me
Who is oncall :
Retrieves oncall user information from all schedules
Mutes notifications for the user. Mutes for 5 minutes if not given.
/genie mute [me/username] [minutes(optional)]
/genie mute email@example.com
/genie mute firstname.lastname@example.org 15
Clears mute setting.
/genie unmute [me/username]
/genie unmute email@example.com
Connect your Opsgenie account to your chat account. If a connection exists, the currently connected Opsgenie user will be shown and you can choose to disconnect
For more details see the Chat User Mapping documentation page
If the person who added the Opsgenie integration to a private Slack channel leaves the channel, create alert notifications from Opsgenie might stop showing up in the channel. In this case, please use the resynchronize button at the end of the instructions which is available in your Slack integration's configuration page.