Slack is a very popular team communication platform. OpsGenie is an alert and notification management solution that is highly complementary to Slack.
OpsGenie has a native two-way integration with Slack. It's easy to configure and powerful: notifications of OpsGenie's robust alerts go right into your Slack channel. In turn, users can acknowledge, close or assign these alerts from the channel, as easily as entering a command like /genie ack 12.
Add a Slack integration in OpsGenie, and in seconds you will have combined Slack's easy-to-use team collaboration platform with OpsGenie's rich alert notification system and on-call rotation. You can execute actions on the alert just by typing a /genie command, into the chat.
Actually, there's more to what you can do on OpsGenie just by entering simple commands to Slack channel. Using /genie command, you can also mute OpsGenie notifications, get alert details, view schedule on-call, etc. OpsGenie's native Slack integration is, really that powerful.
Now with the new Slack buttons, OpsGenie users can acknowledge, un-acknowledge or close alerts with just a button click.
"Require Matching a User" option is used to force matching Slack accounts with OpsGenie accounts. Chat user mapping section addresses this issue.
- Go to Slack App's integration page -> Slack Integration
- Click "Add to Slack" button
- Select "Slack Team" and "Channel".
- Click "Authorize" button to give access to OpsGenie Slack App.
- Integration will be automatically created. (If you are not logged into OpsGenie, you will need to log in.)
- Note that you need to have required permission to add integration in OpsGenie.
- Using Slack buttons is optional. You can disable it on integration's edit page by using "Use Slack Buttons" option.
- Message with Slack buttons look like;
- You can acknowledge, un-acknowledge or close alerts.
- When you click an already acknowledged, un-acknowledged or closed alert, you will get the relevant response and buttons will be changed accordingly.
- "Execute Commands" option is used to determine the integration which executes the genie command.
- The reason to do so is that Slack registers slash commands for the whole team, but more than one OpsGenie integration can be installed in Slack.
- Only one Slack integration can have "Execute Commands" checked for a Slack team.
- "Require Matching a User" option is determined by the same integration that has "Execute Commands" option selected as slash command will be associated with this integration.
- "Require Matching a User" is used to force matching Slack accounts with OpsGenie accounts.
- You can associate your Slack account to your OpsGenie account by using the /genie connect command.
- For more information you can refer to Chat User Mapping page
- Chat user mapping flow:
You can easily execute actions on OpsGenie alerts, just by entering a command with the tinyId of the alert into your HipChat room. Note that you can execute a single command on multiple alerts.
You can create an alert, too. Use the alert command to create an alert in OpsGenie, right from your Slack channel.
Acknowledge Alert :
/genie ack [tinyID tinyID2..]
/genie ack 1
/genie ack 1 2 3
Close Alert :
/genie close [tinyID tinyID2..]
/genie close 1
/genie close 1 2 3
Add Note to Alert :
/genie note [note] to [tinyID tinyID2..]
/genie note this is note to 1
/genie note this is note to 1 2 3
Add Tag to Alert :
/genie addtag [tag1,tag2,..] to [tinyID tinyID2..]
/genie addtag high priority,important to 1
genie addtag high priority,important to 1 2 3
Acknowledge All Open Alerts :
Close All Open Alerts :
Assign Alert :
/genie assign [tinyID tinyID2..] to [user]
/genie assign 1 to firstname.lastname@example.org
/genie assign 2 to myTeam
/genie assign 3 to myTeam email@example.com
/genie assign 1 2 3 to firstname.lastname@example.org
/genie assign 1 2 3 to myTeam
/genie assign 1 2 3 to email@example.com myTeam
Take Ownership of Alert :
/genie own [tinyID tinyID2..]
/genie own 1
/genie own 1 2 3
Execute Action :
/genie exec [action] on [tinyID tinyID2..]
/genie exec customAction on 1
/genie exec customAction on 1 2 3
Create Alert :
/genie alert [alert message] for [user team]
/genie alert this is alert message for firstname.lastname@example.org
/genie alert this is alert message for myTeam
/genie alert this is alert message for myTeam email@example.com
Get Alert :
/genie get [tinyID]
/genie get 1
List Alerts :
Lists all open alerts.
List Integrations :
/genie list integrations
List Policies :
/genie list policies
Enable Integration/Policy :
/genie enable [name]
/genie enable policy
Disable Integration/Policy :
/genie disable [name]
/genie disable policy
Take On-call :
Takes on-call for the specified amount of time for the team or schedule. Default amount of time is 1h. If no schedule/team is specified, the user will take on-call for his team's schedule, or a single schedule he's participant in.
/genie oncall [me/user] [h/m/d] for [team/schedule/all]
Sample uses are:
/genie oncall me 2h for weekend_schedule
/genie oncall firstname.lastname@example.org 1d for ops_team
/genie oncall me 2h for all
/genie oncall me 45m
/genie oncall me
Who is oncall :
Retrieves oncall user information from all schedules
Mutes notifications for the user. Mutes for 5 minutes if not given.
/genie mute [me/username] [minutes(optional)]
/genie mute email@example.com
/genie mute firstname.lastname@example.org 15
Clears mute setting.
/genie unmute [me/username]
/genie unmute email@example.com
Connect your OpsGenie account to your chat account. If a connection exists, the currently connected OpsGenie user will be shown and you can choose to disconnect
For more details see the Chat User Mapping documentation page