During the week, Jack, Jane and Bob share on-call duty rotating daily, starting from 9:00 am until 9:00 am the next day. In the weekends, John and Bob are on-call, rotating daily from Saturday morning 9:00 am until Monday morning 9:00 am.
- At On-call Schedules page, click on the "Add Schedule" button.
- Give the schedule a Name using only letters, numbers, underscores, and dots. In this scenario, a schedule named “weekdays_weekends” will be created. Select this name when setting up alerts recipients to have alerts sent to the appropriate on-call technician.
- Select the appropriate Time zone and save.
- Click the plus button near “Rotations” to begin populating an on-call schedule. In this example, we will create two rotations: one for weekdays and one for weekends.
- Input Start date and time to indicate when the first rotation becomes active. Schedule rotations are calculated beginning from this date and time, so ensure you have chosen the appropriate handover time for rotations (e.g., start of business day at 09:00 vs. start of actual day at 00:00). In this scenario, the weekday rotation begins at open of business on Monday morning, so 09:00 is selected as the start time.
- Select Participants. Participants may be users, groups, teams and escalations. In this example, Jack, Jane, and Bob are on call during the week. Change the order of the participants by dragging and dropping the participants in the list. Each participant is assigned a color and is represented with that color in the schedule preview.
- Select rotation. In this example, Jack, Jane, and Bob rotate on-call duties during the work week. First, select “daily” to indicate the length of the rotation. Second, specify the duration of the work week by checking the box to “limit on call rotation times to specific dates and times,” then selecting a start time of Monday, 09:00 and an end time of Saturday, 09:00.
- Verify the schedule. As rotations are defined, OpsGenie automatically calculates and displays who will be on-call and when.
- Click “Save” to save the rotation that specifies weekday rotations.
- Click add rotation button again to specify a weekend rotation.
- Repeat steps 6-9 above, but this time populating the rotation with the weekend rotation policy. John and Bob are on call for day-long shifts beginning Saturdays at 09:00 and continuing through Mondays at 09:00.
- You can go back to schedules page and edit, clone, delete, enable/disable or export your on call schedules.