New Relic is the all-in-one web application performance tool that lets you see performance from the end user experience, through servers, and down to the line of application code. New Relic offers real time user monitoring, application monitoring, server monitoring, deep-dive transaction analysis in a single tool, delivered as a service.
By forwarding New Relic server and web application alerts to OpsGenie, you can receive notifications through iOS and Android push notifications, email, SMS, and phone calls, and track of the alert life cycle.
New Relic can send alerts via email and using webhook. Either method can be used to forward New Relic alerts to OpsGenie. How to create alerts via email in OpsGenie is describe in the email integration document. This document describes how to integrate New Relic and OpsGenie using the webhook method.
OpsGenie provides a web API for New Relic to create and close alerts directly in OpsGenie servers.
Functionality of the integration
- When an alert is created in New Relic (Legacy), an alert is also created in OpsGenie automatically through the integration.
- When an alert is closed in New Relic (Legacy), the related alert is also closed in OpsGenie automatically through the integration.
- When an alert is acknowledged in New Relic (Legacy), the related alert is also closed in OpsGenie automatically through the integration.
- An "Api Key" is generated for the integration, copy the integration url provided on integration page.
- From the New Relic title bar, select (your account name) > Account settings > Integrations > Alert notifications.
- From the Alert notifications page, select the Webhook tab.
- Check the boxes for downtime, application, and server alerts (assuming you'd like to be notified for all alerts)
- Populate "Webhook URL" with the API Url you copied on integration page.
When your webhook is configured you will see the “traffic light” for the Webhook tab turn green.
Alert properties can be configured from New Relic Integration, Advanced Settings page.
You can now manage your New Relic web application alerts at OpsGenie and leverage its full alerting functionality.