is an open source, private cloud Slack-alternative platform. OpsGenie is an alert and notification management solution that is highly complementary to Mattermost.
What does OpsGenie offer for Mattermost users?
OpsGenie has a two-way integration with Mattermost. It's powerful and easy to configure: notifications of OpsGenie's robust alerts go right into your Mattermost channel. In turn, users can acknowledge, close or assign these alerts from the channel, as easily as entering a command like /genie ack 12.
Add a Mattermost integration in OpsGenie, and in seconds you will combine Mattermost's easy-to-use team collaboration platform with OpsGenie's rich alert notification system and on-call rotation. You can execute actions on the alert just by typing a /genie command, into the chat.
Actually, there's more to what you can do on OpsGenie just by entering simple commands to Mattermost channel. Using /genie command, you can also mute OpsGenie notifications, get alert details, view schedule on-call, etc. OpsGenie's Mattermost integration is, really that powerful.
Configuring Mattermost Integration
- In Mattermost, enable incoming webhooks and slash commands from Main Menu > System Console > Integrations > Custom Integrations.
- To create Mattermost Incoming Webhook, go to Main Menu > Integrations > Incoming Webhooks and click Add Incoming Webhook.
- Fill in Display Name and Description fields, and select the channel or private group to receive webhook payloads, then click Save to create the webhook.
- After adding incoming webhook, you will be directed to a page. Copy the URL given in that page.
- Go to OpsGenie, and please create an OpsGenie account if you haven't done so already.
- Go to OpsGenie's Mattermost Integration page.
- Paste the URL that you copied from Mattermost to the Mattermost URL field.
- Copy the Request URL in order to use it while adding slash commands in Mattermost.
- Click on Save Integration.
- Go to Mattermost and from Main Menu > Integrations > Slash Commands click Add Slash Command.
- Enter genie into Command Trigger Word field.
- Paste the URL that you copied from OpsGenie to the Request URL field.
- Click Update.
Chat User Mapping
- "Require Matching a User" is used to force matching Mattermost accounts with OpsGenie accounts.
- You can associate your Mattermost account to your OpsGenie account by using the /genie connect command.
- For more information you can refer to Chat User Mapping page.
- Chat user mapping flow:
- First, write /genie connect command. Click the "authenticate in opsgenie" link.
- In the opened tab, the link directs you to the OpsGenie login page. Login and click "Approve" button.
- Now, you have connected your OpsGenie account to your Mattermost team.
Using /genie Command
You can easily execute actions on OpsGenie alerts, just by entering a command with the tinyId of the alert into your Mattermost room. Note that you can execute a single command on multiple alerts.
You can create an alert, too. Use the alert command to create an alert in OpsGenie, right from your Mattermost channel.
Acknowledge Alert :
/genie ack [tinyID tinyID2..]
/genie ack 1 /genie ack 1 2 3
Close Alert :
/genie close [tinyID tinyID2..]
/genie close 1 /genie close 1 2 3
Add Note to Alert :
/genie note [note] to [tinyID tinyID2..]
/genie note this is note to 1 /genie note this is note to 1 2 3
Add Tag to Alert :
/genie addtag [tag1,tag2,..] to [tinyID tinyID2..]
/genie addtag high priority,important to 1 genie addtag high priority,important to 1 2 3
Acknowledge All Open Alerts :
Close All Open Alerts :
Assign Alert :
/genie assign [tinyID tinyID2..] to [user]
/genie assign 1 to firstname.lastname@example.org /genie assign 2 to myTeam /genie assign 3 to myTeam email@example.com /genie assign 1 2 3 to firstname.lastname@example.org /genie assign 1 2 3 to myTeam /genie assign 1 2 3 to email@example.com myTeam
Take Ownership of Alert :
/genie own [tinyID tinyID2..]
/genie own 1 /genie own 1 2 3
Execute Action :
/genie exec [action] on [tinyID tinyID2..]
/genie exec customAction on 1 /genie exec customAction on 1 2 3
Create Alert :
/genie alert [alert message] for [user team]
/genie alert this is alert message for firstname.lastname@example.org /genie alert this is alert message for myTeam /genie alert this is alert message for myTeam email@example.com
Get Alert :
/genie get [tinyID]
/genie get 1
List Alerts :
Lists all open alerts.
List Integrations :
/genie list integrations
List Policies :
/genie list policies
Enable Integration/Policy :
/genie enable [name]
/genie enable policy
Disable Integration/Policy :
/genie disable [name]
/genie disable policy
Take On-call :
Takes on-call for the specified amount of time for the team or schedule. Default amount of time is 1h. If no schedule/team is specified, the user will take on-call for his team's schedule, or a single schedule he's participant in.
/genie oncall [me/user] [h/m/d] for [team/schedule/all]
Sample uses are:
/genie oncall me 2h for weekend_schedule /genie oncall firstname.lastname@example.org 1d for ops_team /genie oncall me 2h for all /genie oncall me 45m /genie oncall me
Who is oncall :
Retrieves oncall user information from all schedules
Mutes notifications for the user. Mutes for 5 minutes if not given.
/genie mute [me/username] [minutes(optional)]
/genie mute email@example.com /genie mute firstname.lastname@example.org 15
Clears mute setting.
/genie unmute [me/username]
/genie unmute email@example.com
Connect your OpsGenie account to your chat account. If a connection exists, the currently connected OpsGenie user will be shown and you can choose to disconnect
For more details see the Chat User Mapping documentation page