Alerts within OpsGenie can be created via different sources:
- Incoming/Bi-Directional Integrations: Any external service or application that OpsGenie is integrated with can create alerts within OpsGenie. OpsGenie processes any received data from an external service according to the configuration of the integration that the provided API Key belongs to, and creates alerts if required to do so. You can refer to the Integrations Dashboard or Integrations Page to see the list of external services that we are already integrated with.
- E-Mails: You can integrate any service or software that has the capability of sending e-mails with OpsGenie. You can forward these e-mails to OpsGenie after configuring an Email Integration. OpsGenie processes any received emails according to the configuration of the email integration that the e-mail address belongs to.
- Alert API: You can create alerts via the Create Alert Requests of the Alert API, after configuring an API integration within OpsGenie. Any data within the request will be processed according to the configuration of API integration that the provided API Key belongs to.
- Heartbeat Monitoring: Heartbeat Monitoring can also create alerts within OpsGenie. If OpsGenie does not receive a Send Heartbeat Request within the defined time threshold, an alert will be created according to the configuration of your Heartbeat Integration.
- Incoming Calls: You can forward your phone calls to the number that OpsGenie provided you while configuring an Incoming Call integration. When a call is received by OpsGenie, an alert will be created by the Incoming Call integration that the provided call number belongs to.
- OpsGenie Web Application: You can create alerts via the Alerts->Create Alert page. By default, OpsGenie uses your Default API Integration while processing the data that you provided while creating an alert on Web Application, but you can select another API integration via the drop-down list that you can see within below screen-shot to process using.
Alert Creation Flow
The diagram above is a clear summary of the alert creation flow from the moment of receiving Alert Create Content to the creation of the alert. The following is the step-by-step explanation:
- 1. OpsGenie matches the request source with the related integration configuration. If the provided content does not match any enabled integrations, OpsGenie will ignore the request/data.
- 2. If the matched integration has ignore rules and the received content satisfies the conditions for at least one of these ignore rules, OpsGenie will ignore the request/data.
- 3. If the matched integration does not have any Create Alert Rules, or the received content does not satisfy the conditions of at least one, OpsGenie will ignore the request/data. Otherwise, OpsGenie will prepare an alert template according to first matched Create Alert Rule.
- 4. If there is at least one Modify Alert Policy whose conditions / time restrictions are satisfied by the prepared alert template, OpsGenie will modify the alert template according to the matched policies.
- 5. - 6. OpsGenie checks whether there is an open alert that has the same alias with the prepared and modified alert template. If there is, the existing open alert will be de-duplicated. If there is not, OpsGenie will create a new open alert according to the prepared and modified alert template and will start an Alert Notifications Flow.